Travelling can teach you a lot about yourself. There will be times when you are forced to be resourceful and think on your feet. How you respond to a range of circumstances can provide insight into your true self. So it is always worth self-reflecting. I have compiled 5 discoveries I’ve made about myself as a result of travel.
- I like planning and being in control of myself (I’m different in groups, you’ll see in point 3). At the end of the day, I like rewarding myself for a well-executed plan, usually in the form of cake or ice-cream.
- I am pedantic. I used to think it was normal to plan every little detail, like timing walking distances for example. Evidently, not everyone is like that, so I’m slowly training myself to relax about the minor details (I stress “slowly”).
- I do not like leading or making decisions on behalf of groups. I don’t work well under that pressure. It’s strange because at home, with friends, and in the workplace, I am often the leader who makes decisions, and very rarely are there any complaints. But if I am travelling with people, I feel uncomfortable making decisions for the group. I prefer to collaborate or just do my own thing. Which brings me to my next point;
- My friends and family know that I thrive on other people’s energy. A natural extrovert, some might say. But occasionally I crave solitude. I like to meditate, practice yoga, listen to music, write, and simply recharge.
- With every travel experience, I feel accomplished and I gain a bit more courage. I am a nervous flyer but I still get on that plane regardless of whether it’s a short or long-haul flight. I am prone to motion sickness yet I’ve commuted on various modes of transportation from buses, trains and boats (some experiences worse than others). In relation to that, I’ve learned how to use local public transport in several countries. I’ve also navigated my way around big foreign cities, successfully ordered food off non-English menus and made friends with total strangers.
What have you learned about yourself as a result of travelling? Feel free to share in the comments box!