Over the last couple of years I have become conscious of the amount of clothes, shoes and bags that I own. I think every 6 months since 2016, I have cleared out my closet, getting rid of stuff that I don’t need or haven’t worn in a long time. Why do I do this? Well, I’m trying to achieve minimalism.
I know shopping for clothes is fun, especially if it’s for a specific occasion. I’m a girl. I’ve been to the sales, I’ve lined up in fitting rooms, I’ve spent hours scanning racks of clothes. But clothes shopping usually only fulfills an immediate need. Like many things in life, long-term investments are the way to go.
I’m not a fan of fast fashion and I’m hardly ever trendy. I prefer versatility, staple items and outfits that express how I’m feeling that day. Most days I’m in jeans, sneakers, a top and a jacket/sweater. This is the most comfortable and preferred version of me – street chic!
So in this blog post, I am going to list the clothing items I cannot live without. The items that I will have for years!
- Blue denim jacket – mine is from Esprit and I’ve had it since 2011. Denim jackets suit with everything. They are lightweight and are a timeless item. It’ll never go out of style.
- Plain white tee – although, it doesn’t have to be white. It can be any neutral colour. I alternate between a few t-shirts, one white, black, grey, cream and blue/white horizontal stripes (like a sailor top). My black tee is a basic French Connection t-shirt that my sister bought for me as a Christmas gift in 2007! It cost me nothing and I’ve gotten so much wear out of it.
- LBD/Little black dress – every girl has one. It’s the go-to, lifesaver dress that will never let you down. I actually have a “little dark purple A-line dress” that I bought from Top Shop in 2012. It is the perfect dress for me because I can wear it casually during the day with comfortable shoes or sandals, dress it up for parties by adding some jewellery, pair it with any jacket according to the occasion – denim, leather or even a crop blazer for work/smart attire. It’s the best!
- White sneakers – I currently have a pair of white Converse sneakers that I live in, and still own the black version that I bought when I was 16! Whether its Converse, Vans, La Coste, Sketchers, Adidas or Target, white sneakers is one of the most versatile items that you can mix and match with and be confident that you will always feel comfortable in them.
- Black leather jacket – you see, I like to wear my blue denim jacket during the day, and my black leather jacket at night. But it can be worn at any time of the day and with dresses, skirts, jeans or even a pair of cur-off denim shorts for an edgy look. I once went to a music festival with a group of girls and we all unintentionally wore a black leather jacket. I swear it was unplanned.
- A good pair of comfy jeans – to me, jeans are my favourite clothing item. Especially blue or dark navy skinny jeans. They are so comfortable and suit with almost every other item in your wardrobe. They can be worn day and night, casual or dress up, with heels, sandals or sneakers, the lot!
- Boots – one good pair, either black or brown, ankle or knee-high, heel or no heel, will keep you warm for the colder months. I prefer brown ankle boots with a small chunky heel.
Of course, everyone is different and has their own style and preferences. My list are the items that have gone the distance and never fail me. I’ve saved money as a result and can get away with always looking fresh by mixing and matching these staple items with other items in my wardrobe. Also, it helps when I’m packing for my adventures, as I know there will be multiple occasions for me to where these items when I’m travelling.
Did I miss anything? Is there an item that you can’t live without? Let me know in the comments below!